SharePoint Designer is a free tool that comes with Microsoft sharepoint environment which enables you to develop the sharepoint applications in a rapid manner. The following activites can be done using SharePoint designer.
create/Edit a SharePoint list or document library
Create /Edit a master page.
Create/Edit designer workflows .
Create /Edit Content types.
Create/Edit Page Layouts.
There are many instances, where your SharePoint designer is out of sync with actual SharePoint site. The possible issues may be
- A list item is checked out in designer whereas it is actually checked in properly in the SharePoint list.
- A error messag occurs “Cannot perform this operation. The file is no longer checked out or has been deleted”
To avoid the synchronization issues between the Live Sharepoint environment and SPD , we need to clear Cache at frequent intervals.
In this article, we will see the steps to clear SharePoint Designer cache manually. We can automate the steps using powershell commands as well.
Steps to Clear SharePoint Designer Cache
1.Close the SharePoint Designer(SPD) in case it is opened
2. Navigate to Command prompt and type the following command
3. Remove all the contents inside the WebsiteCache directory of UserProfile Folder
4. Again ,type the following command in the Command Prompt
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Web Server Extensions\Cache
5. Clear the Contents.